Thursday, August 03, 2006

Politics and Babies: Insert your own joke here

Today is voting day. We wanted to get Harper involved as early as possible in the democratic process so we sat her down and explained the realities of the political landscape in America. We told her that almost all of her options will be disappointing but that it was worth being hopeful. We told her the system was flawed but that it was the best one going. We told her that she could do anything she wanted and that she has the potential to do a better job than anyone that has ever held office. (We also winked and nudged and told her she could probably start today and still do a better job than some.)

She laughed at that and we said, "No, seriously."

Then we sat her upright on the floor and placed a stuffed elephant on her right, a stuffed donkey on her left and then stepped away and let her play with whichever one she wanted....

But then Carmine barreled through the living room, grabbed the elephant and tore it into a million pieces. So there you go.

We are Harper's Parents and we approved this message.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paradox re the elephant and the donkey: Yesterday I stood in line for an hour to vote. Inevitably you interact with those closest to you in line and the older gentleman and his wife in front of me and I exchanged coversation for most of that time. There was a TV set up in the corner tuned in to Martha for most of that time, then Ellen came on. Older gentleman in front of me says rather loudly to no one in particular but seemingly to everyone, "Can you turn that pervert off?" I said to him, she is not a pervert. Yes she is he says and I say well that is a matter of opinion and you and I don't agree on that. This was all very civil with no animosity between us, just a difference of opinion. I looked at his piece of paper that you present to actually vote that has his name on it because then I was curious. He, in turn, was trying his best to look at mine. I told him I was recognizing this fact and offered my hand as we smiled and exchanged names. He showed me his piece of paper which also notes if you are voting in the republican or democrat primary. He was voting in the democrat primary and I the republican. Maybe by the time Harper is of age to consider all this, the bunny that is sharing her carrier in today's picture will be a mascot for a surviving party that takes the good from what we now have.

Harper said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

While I appreciate the science behind the above study (see: elephant vs. donkey) I would like to add that my son, a passionate admirer of all things pachydermic, has not yet expressed a clear political tilt.

That said, he has told me that he's in favor of stem cell research, thinks the same sex marriage ban is a political red herring and has serious issues with the way the war in Iraq is being handled. He also stated that "nuclear" really isn't that hard to say if you just sound it out.

Harper said...

No, we rented him.